5-HTP is a compound which gets converted into serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is one of the principal neurotransmitters involved in happiness and anti-depression. 5-HTP has been used with success to restore serotonin levels in those that may suffer from decreased serotonin levels, such as the depressed and those with high levels of body inflammation (typically seen in metabolic syndrome).
Origin: Griffonia simplicifolia
Peak X free, stable supply, lower solvent residue
1. Depression: 5-HTP deficiencies are believed to contribute to depression. 5-HTP supplementation has been shown to be effective in treating mild to moderate depression. In clinical trials 5-hydroxytryptophan showed similar results to those gained with the antidepressant drugs imipramine and fluvoxamine.
2. Fibromyalgia: Studies show that 5-HTP enhances serotonin synthesis, which increases pain tolerance and sleep quality. Patients with fibromyalgia have reported an improvement in symptoms of depression, anxiety, insomnia, and somatic pain (number of painful areas and morning stiffness).
3. Insomnia: In many trials, 5-HTP has reduced the time required to fall asleep and improved quality of sleep for those suffering from insomnia.
4. Migraines: 5-HTP reduced the frequency and severity of migraine headaches in clinical trials. Also, significantly fewer side effects were observed with 5-HTP compared to other migraine headache drugs.
5. Obesity: 5-hydroxytryptophan creates a fuller feeling - satisfying a person's appetite sooner. Thus allowing patients to stick with diets easier. It has also been shown to decrease the carbohydrate intake in obese patients.
6. Children's Headaches: Children with sleep disorder-related headaches seem to respond to 5-HTP treatment